Gantz (ガンツ, Gantsu) is a psychological science fiction action thriller manga written and drawn by Hiroya Oku, it was first published on July 13, 2000 . The manga is known for its graphic violence, sex, action and game like aspects. It brings a not always obvious depth to a series which at first glance might look like your average action packed, sex and fight filled seinen.
See Gantz (Series) to learn more about the series.
Also see List of Chapters to read a summary of the chapters and links to articles about individual chapters.
In 2015 a new manga titled Gantz:G was started with different characters.
In January 9, 2020, a new manga titled Gantz:E started. The plot is setted in the Edo era.
Comments by Hiroya Oku
- Kishimoto's death was not planned from the start. I thought of her just as a heroine who flourished a story. About her death, a part of the team said: "Are you sure you want kill her so soon?". But all was just part of improvisation when writing a plot. In the part where through a death of Kato, it was virtually automatic too-die too.
- It was easy to imagine that this would become a common story of an alien monster dear from the start. So I brought with the alien Chives, as a character who can make the look of someone indifferent end up liking him and creating feelings against the Gantz room. Just the bullying and murder of a weak alien could not be a battle, so I created a stronger version of it, the great alien Onion. I wanted to make an original name, hence its name came to me "Alien Onion".
- Note from the assistant: Kikuchi wears glasses and has short bacaninha hair, and they have the habit of looking at a person with a sideways glance. He is impressed when he occasionally displays smug and triumphant expressions of purpose in a funny way. Does he look a bit like Hiroya in any way?
- If Kurono is a common high school student, Kato is my ideal high school student. I think I was influenced by John McClane from the "Die Hard" series. For example, Kato feels bad when he needs to fight against his will, as if to say "Why should I do this?", And he can actually do it. I was planning Kato's death from the start. I was also originally planning that "everyone besides Kurono would die in the middle of the story".
- Kurono is based on my personal view of ordinary high school students. It's a bit like a student who has a cynical outlook on society, if that makes sense. It seems he was thought of as a nerd, but he's not the kind of guy who is too fanatic about something as much as the geeks are. I simply assumed that he is an average high school student. By the way, his cell phone ringtone is "Myth Komon".
|Media||Manga • Anime • Movies • Gantz: The Game • Light Novels|
|Story||Missions • Equipment • Hunters • Aliens • Story Arcs|